I had three little gourds hanging around from last year. I didn't know if they would dry out or get mushy, but they dried out great! I bleached them and gave them a little scrubbing, let them dry out and then got to work! You can do this with large gourds and the gourds you use can be dried out or not. If they are not dried out, you probably can't save them, but if they are you can bring them out year after year!
You will need:
- Acrylic paint
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Small styrofoam balls
- Craft foam in varying colors
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Paint your gourds whatever color you want your aliens to be. I used orange, green and purple. It will take a minimum of two coats, but plan on more, depending on the coverage you get. The orange took 3-4 coats.
2. Allow to dry.
3. If you want to add any additional markings (polka dots, stripes, etc.) now would be the time.
4. If you want to add eyeballs with pipe cleaners, drill hole where you want the pipe cleaner to go in.
5. Thread the pipe cleaner through and snip to the desired length.
6. Snip pipe cleaners to desired length and add styrofoam balls.
7. Glue on googly eyes.
8. Cut feet and hands from craft foam. I only had white craft foam, so I painted them the color I needed and glued into place.
9. Paint on mouths as desired.
That's it! Now you have these super cute aliens! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!