Saturday, January 12, 2013

Valentine's Day String Heart Craft Tutorial

To easily find my crafts, click on the Tutorials tab above.  To stay on top of the latest, don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/craftklatch.

You can find the candy mold above in the Craft Klatch Products I Use - Amazon store.


I was asked by one of my YouTube subscribers to do more string crafts and this is one for Valentine's Day.

You will need:

-  Candy heart mold - I used the plastic Wilton Heart Truffle Mold -
available in the Products I Use - Amazon Store above
-  Liquid starch
-  Embroidery floss
-  Twine
-  Glue that dries clear

Here is the video tutorial:

Directions:

1.  Carefully unwind your embroidery floss into the starch.  Make sure to keep the end out.
2.  While you are pulling the embroidery floss out of the starch and winding it into the mold, make sure you are using your other hand to pinch off any excess.  You don't want the starch to pool at the bottom of the mold.
3.  I did not make a solid heart.  I just wanted the shape and I wanted it to have some openings.
4.  Allow to completely dry.
5.  When dry, they should easily pop right out of the molds.  Use a glue that dries clear to glue the two halves together.  DO NOT use hot glue.  I originally tried hot glue and when I tried to pull off the glue strings, it pulled my heart apart.  Elmer's glue would work fine!
6.  When the glue is dry feed twine or fishing line through openings at the top of the heart, tie and hang!

Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Crafting!

Mona

Here are the same or similar products I used available at Amazon:
  




22 comments:

  1. This is really pretty - I love its simplicity! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Thanks for the tut!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will need the tutorial. I am so not crafty but my daughter would love this on a necklace. Happy to have found your blog from Craft O Maniac. Would love for you to share on Thursdays Treasures http://fooddonelight.com/thursdays-treasures-week-68/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie-

      Thank you for stopping by! I'm trying to figure out how to make it into a necklace. It's too delicate the way it is, so I'm trying to think of the best way to make it more permanent.

      I will absolutely try to remember about Thursday! I'd love to share!

      Thanks

      Mona

      Delete
  4. But....I can't see the video. Maybe it's just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! Thanks for stopping by. Sometimes it takes an extra few seconds for the tutorial to load, not sure why. Here's the direct link to the video:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcxPjhCqRqk

      Thanks for the kind words! Mona

      Delete
  5. Hey from tessacotton! Love your creation. I would be so thrilled if you would link up to my new, Valentines Day themed linky party!
    http://tessacotton.blogspot.com/2013/01/valentines-day-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Thanks for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love it!!!
    Cris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! About how long does it take for the starch to dry then the glue to dry. Am wanting to do this at a classroom party but need to know how long it would take. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike! Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it!
      I let the starch dry overnight, just to make sure it was fully dry, but I don't think I needed to. Of course, it depends on the humidity level where you are. The key is to make sure when you are taking the embroidery floss out of the starch that you are pinching it to drain as much of the starch out before putting it in the mold. That cuts down on the drying time and the starch won't pool in the bottom of the mold. If you are someplace warm and you can put them out in the sun, they could dry in as little as an hour depending. The glue dries pretty quickly and both halves are so light they don't have the tendency to pull apart. If you use a fast drying glue, it could be minutes.

      Hope that helps!

      Mona

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for the video tutorial!! I love this string heart very much. It will make a super cute pendant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So super cute!! I would not have thought about using a candy tray!
    :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute idea. I want to try it for turkey tummies using yarn ... wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear what you are thinking! I read each and every comment. Thank you for taking the time and stopping by!

Mona