- Three golf balls
- Black spray paint (I used outdoor spray paint in a satin black)
- Wire hanger
- 20 gauge wire
- Hot glue
- Wire cutters
- Drill or rotary tool
- Safety glasses
Here is the video tutorial:
1. Glue the three golf balls together.
2. Drill six holes in the sides (three on each side) of the ant. I put one on the back part and two in the middle and left the head without any holes (for now).
3. Cut six pieces of the wire hanger - approximately 2.5 inches in length- and bend each end.
4. Insert into the leg holes.
5. Drill two holes in the head for the antennae. Take a few inches of the 20 gauge wire and wrap it around a pen or skewer to create the antennae.
6. Hot glue the legs and antennae.
7. Spray paint the ant. Let it dry and your are done!!
8. Display proudly!
I'd love to see what you come up with! Share your creations on our Facebook page!
Have fun and Happy Crafting!
Just a warning. We have had 90 -100 degree+ heat here in the Chicago area (most of the summer) and they held up well, but eventually the hot glue just couldn't hold it anymore. So, I would suggest using an epoxy, or what I did to fix it. I broke out my rotary tool and drilled a hole where they were glued together, used another piece of wire hanger, squirt some glue in holes and hot glued together again. I let it all dry and spray painted it. It worked like a charm and you can't tell they ever came apart. Now if it gets hot, the hanger inside doesn't allow it to try and pull apart. The heat here has continued and they are holding up fine! If you are using them inside, the hot glue is more than enough.